Please check out the flyer of our Applied Mathematics Graduate Program!
Before You Apply
The Applied Mathematics Graduate Program at UC Merced is focused on applications of analytical and computational tools to solving real life problems. The minimum requirement for graduate admission to UCM is a bachelor's degree in applied mathematics or related field with an undergraduate grade point average no lower than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. This minimum will be waived only under circumstances where the applicant has demonstrated strong academic skills subsequent to their undergraduate studies.
Expectations. Applicants are expected to have solid undergraduate preparation in the following subjects:
- Linear Algebra
- Differential Equations (ODEs and PDEs)
- Complex Analysis
- Numerical Analysis
- Basic Programming
Past preliminary exams can serve as self-assessment tools for the applicants' preparation in the subjects.
Criteria. Performance on the GRE, accomplishments in undergraduate research, and letters of recommendation are also important determinants of an applicant's potential for success in graduate education and will be evaluated by the admissions committee.
Selection. Each academically qualified student will also have a remote or in-person interview with one or more applied mathematics faculty members. Finally, the match of the candidate's skills and interests to applied mathematics research programs will be considered. For this reason applicants are encouraged to contact applied mathematics faculty members before applying.
For general information on graduate studies at UCM, visit the UC Merced Graduate Division website. For information on teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and graduate fellowships, visit the Graduate Division Financial Support page. Further information for prospective students can be found on the Graduate Division web site.
International applicants are encouraged to visit the Graduate Division international information page.
Applying to the Graduate Program
To apply, go to the UC Merced Graduate Admission Login website. A complete application includes the following:
- Completed application form
- All official university/college/junior-college transcripts
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score report (only general test required; scores up to five-years old accepted)
- Applicants are encouraged to submit a GRE official score report for either the Math Subject Test or Physics Subject Test if one or more of the following applies:
- Applicant does not have an undergraduate degree in pure or applied mathematics
- Applicant does not meet the minimum GPA requirement
- Applicant is concerned about the strength of his/her application in terms of the other required materials
- Three letters of recommendation from instructors or supervisors who can comment on the applicant's scholarly ability and promise as a researcher
- Official score reports from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the Test of Spoken English (TSE) if the applicant's native language of instruction is other than English
- Application fee (contact us for application fee waivers)
The early admissions deadline for applications is January 15, annually.
Contact the Admissions Committee
Have a question, or want to contact the faculty? Use this simple form, and a member of the admissions team will respond within the next few weeks. We look forward to hearing from you. Good luck with your graduate search!